Monday, December 15, 2008

Whiteboard 2: Electric Boogaloo

Okay, here's another random character sketch from my whiteboard. Mantis Boy I think has a future in pictures. Kind of an Edward Scissorhands sort of guy, but less cuddly than Johnny Depp.

Honestly, if Microsoft had put me in charge and started making Mantis Boy games, they'd probably be doing a lot better right now. Think about it. Nintendo has Mario, Sega has Sonic, Sony has...um...that cute little knitted doll guy from their new Knitting Hero franchise.

Anyway, my point is Mantis Boy could have been Microsoft's mascot. But, instead they had to settle for generic space marine guy. Man, they missed the boat. Of course, I suppose it's not too late to fix that. I mean, Mantis Boy could turn out to be the guy inside the generic space marine suit...

Okay, full disclosure: I haven't played all the Halo games, so I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that it's actually Bill Gates inside the suit, as revealed in Halo 2. And then Jerry Seinfeld after Bill retired and was unavailable for Halo 3 (you can tell the difference between the two Master Chiefs because Jerry's suit has more prominent nipples, and he pals around with Chris O'Donnell).

So, don't you miss the boat like Microsoft did. Get your festive Mantis Boy holiday gifts while they last (...just as soon as I make them)!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool character. I instantly thought about The Fly, but the Edward Scissorhands connection is very interesting. Yet remembering those tales, I would worry about this guy's story turning overly sentimental.

    By the way, everything best for the holiday season and the New Year. Especially many creatively enticing projects to work on.

    ReplyDelete